"What's in a name? That which we call a rose

By any other name would smell as sweet."



That which we call art, by any other name would be as wonderful. What is true 'art'? Have I earned the title of artist? Or am I a poser? Whenever someone asks me what I 'do', my instant answer is artist. But when I think of what an artist is, I picture someone living in a funky loft apartment with exposed brick, paint all over their clothes. Going for coffee at the cafe down the street every morning. Thats not me. I'm a mom with a messy house. My coffee is folgers instant coffee. But I am an artist, no less. I feel that anything one creates with their own hands is art. Painting, drawing, crafts, and cooking. Creating a garden is a living work of art, always changing. Welcome to my imagination. I will share with you my version of art, using every medium available.



Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Wine Glass Candle

This is my  idea for a place to store the charms when they aren't in use. I got the glasses at the dollar store. There were lots to choose from. Make sure they are heat resistant, you don't want the glass to break while the candle is burning. I bought a pack of small candles, there was even wine scented candles, but I used cinnamon. I also bought a package of wax crystals. It is in the candle making section at the craft store. It is basically powdered wax. I set all the glasses in a row, and poured the wax evenly among the glasses. I preheated the oven to the 'warm' setting. I set the glasses on a cookie sheet, and put them in the oven. It took about ten minutes to melt the wax. I carefully removed the cookie sheet, and then let them cool for a couple minutes. Next, I placed the candle in the middle, and held it there until it stayed, about 30 seconds. I watched them until the wax just barely started to set.   

I sprinkled some of the beads I used to make the charms over the still warm wax. You need to watch closely because the beads won't stick if the wax sets too much. There are a few other ways you could create a candle in a wine glass. I did it this way because it was a last minute idea, and this was the most time and cost effective way.  But, if I had more time and a bigger budget, I would use the candle gel. It has the appearance of a liquid, and you can add any color or scent to it. You could make it look just like a glass of wine! 

After the candle is set, attach all the charms to the stem. Now there is a pretty place to store the charms when they aren't being used. By the way, I have always liked all the wine paraphenalia, but not the wine. The glasses, the racks, the charms, its all beautiful. But the taste of wine is not something that I enjoy. But I recently discovered one that I love. Its called Moscato, and it is very sweet. The lower the alcohol content, the sweeter the flavor. So if you like sweet wine and haven't tried this, you should! Most of the popular brands make it, like Barefoot Bubbly and Sutter Home. Leave a comment if you have a favorite wine, I'm just discovering the world of wine. 

1 comment: