"What's in a name? That which we call a rose

By any other name would smell as sweet."



That which we call art, by any other name would be as wonderful. What is true 'art'? Have I earned the title of artist? Or am I a poser? Whenever someone asks me what I 'do', my instant answer is artist. But when I think of what an artist is, I picture someone living in a funky loft apartment with exposed brick, paint all over their clothes. Going for coffee at the cafe down the street every morning. Thats not me. I'm a mom with a messy house. My coffee is folgers instant coffee. But I am an artist, no less. I feel that anything one creates with their own hands is art. Painting, drawing, crafts, and cooking. Creating a garden is a living work of art, always changing. Welcome to my imagination. I will share with you my version of art, using every medium available.



Thursday, January 6, 2011

Camoflauge Cupcakes


This is another one of my sweet creations. I made this for the ROTC Christmas party. I first went shopping at Candytown. I got the gummy army men, tire treads, and snow there. I baked 2 dozen regular and 1 dozen mini cupcakes. This gave me some extras to practice frosting.  To make the landscape, I wrapped cardboard with tinfoil. I rolled up an extra piece for each side,  taped it on each end, and wrapped one more piece of foil over it. This created a raised edge so the snow didn't slide off the sides. Then, I ran oreos through the blender, first vanilla cookies, then the chocolate. I sprinkled them onto the tray, creating a road with them. Then I sprinkled the snow on the vanilla cookie crumbs. Next, I mixed some black food coloring into a can of chocolate frosting. I microwaved it to a liquid, (a tip I learned from Hello, Cupcake) and dipped the mini cupcakes in it. While I let the frosting set, I made a platform out of cardboard, tape, and aluminum foil. To figure out the size I wanted for the platform, I set the cupcakes on the cardboard how I envisioned them once decorated. I marked the edges, removed them, and cut out the cardboard, leaving enough room at each end to make legs, the height of the mini cupcake turned on its side. I folded the ends, taped them in place, and covered it in foil. Then, I frosted the platform. I turned the now cooled mini cupcakes on their sides to make the wheels. I glued the licorice treads on with more black frosting. Next I decorated the regular cupcakes. I made cream cheese frosting, and tinted it with food coloring. I spread the green frosting on the entire cupcake, then added splotches of black and brown to make the camo pattern. After they were frosted and the tank was assembled, I added some Christmas trees for added holiday cheer. These were made by frosting sugar ice cream cones, and sticking mini m&ms on for ornaments.

No comments:

Post a Comment