"What's in a name? That which we call a rose

By any other name would smell as sweet."



That which we call art, by any other name would be as wonderful. What is true 'art'? Have I earned the title of artist? Or am I a poser? Whenever someone asks me what I 'do', my instant answer is artist. But when I think of what an artist is, I picture someone living in a funky loft apartment with exposed brick, paint all over their clothes. Going for coffee at the cafe down the street every morning. Thats not me. I'm a mom with a messy house. My coffee is folgers instant coffee. But I am an artist, no less. I feel that anything one creates with their own hands is art. Painting, drawing, crafts, and cooking. Creating a garden is a living work of art, always changing. Welcome to my imagination. I will share with you my version of art, using every medium available.



Monday, January 17, 2011

Valentine's Paper Crafts

I made this with a sheet of scrapbook paper and a few quotes I found and printed off the Internet. I tore the paper up,  and modge podged it,  along with the quotes, to a small paint can. The can is to put love notes in. Unfortunately, I haven't filled my can up yet, but its still fun to make.
The small tin is an Altoid tin, and I used modge podge on this, too. I used some acrylic paint and a border sticker to decorate the edges of the tin. I used a corner punch to round the corners of my business cards, and store them in here.

This card has a fun 3-d element, and its a great way to use scraps of ribbon. I made one with all different colors of bright ribbons on a black background, too. Corsets seem very romantic to me, but I bet they didn't seem that way if you had to wear them every day!  

I made these at a make-n-take at my mom's house. The die cut is a Stampin Up die called Top Note. I got the black layer by cutting carefully around the scrap from a black die cut.  





This is a quick and easy card, great for a girlfriend's V-day card.  I love this set, Fabulous Flowers, a retired Stampin Up set. You can use any big flower stamp with more than one row of petals. Make the flower pop! Stamp it a few times, and cut out layers. Layer them, glue them directly to each other, or for more depth, layer them with adhesive foam tape. I added some sparkle by putting a dot of stickles (glitter glue) on the tip of each petal. You can add even more to it by curling the edges of the petals slightly.

I didn't make this one, but its cute so I  had to share. I don't have a pattern, but you can just add a tab to the side of the hearts. Fold in the tabs, and glue them together to form an open topped narrow box. For an added touch, you can make a little card that fits right into the box. Stamp some tissue paper with a coordinating stamp, add a ribbon handle and some treats.

This was a make'n'take I taught at our store. Its made from a cd envelope. I got the idea off the Internet, and they had a cookie in the envelope. You could also put a mix cd in the envelope, maybe love songs for your Valentine. I decorated the envelope by stamping and sponging. I added a paper tab (the piece in the center with the heart). In the picture it is leaning against a card, just so I could take a better picture.



This scrapbook layout isn't my best work, nor did it take much time. But it was so fun to make, and I love it still. I already had the paint out, and the idea popped into my head. I cut out a large heart from printer paper. I traced it onto the purple shimmery paper. Then I used acrylic paint to go around the pattern a couple more times directly on the paper. I painted the edges of the paper, too. I glued down the pictures, and then journaled around the inside of the heart. Added a few stickers and stamps, and it was done. I usually spend such a long time on my layouts that there is no way I will EVER be able to scrap all the pictures I want to. Sometimes its fun to just go crazy and have fun, and not worry about perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment