"What's in a name? That which we call a rose

By any other name would smell as sweet."



That which we call art, by any other name would be as wonderful. What is true 'art'? Have I earned the title of artist? Or am I a poser? Whenever someone asks me what I 'do', my instant answer is artist. But when I think of what an artist is, I picture someone living in a funky loft apartment with exposed brick, paint all over their clothes. Going for coffee at the cafe down the street every morning. Thats not me. I'm a mom with a messy house. My coffee is folgers instant coffee. But I am an artist, no less. I feel that anything one creates with their own hands is art. Painting, drawing, crafts, and cooking. Creating a garden is a living work of art, always changing. Welcome to my imagination. I will share with you my version of art, using every medium available.



Thursday, January 6, 2011

Jim's Garden Cake

 I made this cake for my father in law. He loves gardening, so I made a garden cake. This is super easy and went together very quickly. Start with any flavor box cake mix. I used butter pecan. Bake according to instructions on box. While the cake was still warm, I used a serated knife to make the rows in the garden. I then poured caramel topping, the kind for ice cream sundays, into the rows.
 Next, I made the frosting. I didn't have the ingredients from the recipe I wanted to use, so I made my own. I melted over low heat a stick of butter and 7 dark chocolate Dove candies. (The small wrapped squares meant for eating, not baking.) When it was all melted, I added a half cup of unsweetened cocoa powder and a pinch of cinnamon, mixed well. Then I poured this into a glass bowl. I added a half brick of cream cheese, blended, and then began adding milk and powdered sugar a little at a time until I had the flavor and consistency I wanted. I made this frosting with more milk than I would normally use, because I wanted a thin consistency that I could pour over the cake. I then poured and carefully spread the frosting over the cake. This is the BEST frosting I have ever made. Next, I sprinkled dark chocolate sprinkles down the rows. I used Wilton icing to make the lettuce candle holders, pumpkin blossom vines, and carrots. The icing comes with shaped tops that screw right on to the can, and it sprays out like easy cheese. There are insructions on the can on how to create different designs. I used the leaf tip and the writing tip. The candies I used to make carrots and blossoms are from the bottle of sprinkles pictured below. The are like candy coated mini kisses. This cake could be  prettier placed on a cake stand before decorating, but I went for the easy transport and less dishes. I served this with butter pecan ice cream. Yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment