"What's in a name? That which we call a rose

By any other name would smell as sweet."



That which we call art, by any other name would be as wonderful. What is true 'art'? Have I earned the title of artist? Or am I a poser? Whenever someone asks me what I 'do', my instant answer is artist. But when I think of what an artist is, I picture someone living in a funky loft apartment with exposed brick, paint all over their clothes. Going for coffee at the cafe down the street every morning. Thats not me. I'm a mom with a messy house. My coffee is folgers instant coffee. But I am an artist, no less. I feel that anything one creates with their own hands is art. Painting, drawing, crafts, and cooking. Creating a garden is a living work of art, always changing. Welcome to my imagination. I will share with you my version of art, using every medium available.



Tuesday, January 25, 2011

My Craft Room Before

This is the -before- picture of my craft room. I am not changing it because I dislike it, but because the roof sprung a leak from our tornado. It was only dripping, but now that it snowed, its more like a waterfall! The chair was $3 at a yard sale, and I painted and reupholstered it. The door across the back is an original door from my house, which was built in 1937. I loved it too much to throw it away when we remodeled. It is skinnier than a modern door, and the door knob is so tiny and cute. I leaned it against the garage outside for a while, and for once,being a procrastinator payed off this time! Perfectly shabby chic, with no effort at all. (Besides convincing my hubby not to throw it out!)

I lightly sanded it to get the loose paint chips off. Then I spray painted the whole thing with a clear coat to seal it in. The design I painted is similar to the paper I chose to accent the room with. I used a paper plate and a lid to a cup to get the circles. I free handed the rest. 

I keep my beads in baby food containers, they stack nicely and its easy to see whats there. I'm always more creative when everything is spread out in front of me.

This shelf was recycled from the old fireplace mantle. I painted it with acrylic paint, then a crackle coat, and then more paint. Its the first crackle project I've done, and it won't be the last!  I loved the anticipation of not knowing exactly what it would look like, and peeking at the crackling in progress.

Here is the sad part. Just one of the many leaky spots now in the ceiling. But, it is soon to be fixed, if the weather stays mild. So there will be a Craft Room -After- coming (hopefully) soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment